Who participates in meatless Monday's??? While I have attempted a few times, we have not been successful. Even if you are a meat lover, I think you will find this recipe fulfilling. I know my picky husband did!
I served this with brown basmati rice.
Source: Southern Living Magazine- January 2012
- 1 green bell pepper (I omitted because I don't like peppers)
- 1 red bell pepper (I omitted because I don't like peppers)
- 1/2 pound zucchini
- 1/2 pound yellow squash
- 1 large onion, coarsely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 3 Tbps. olive oil
- 2-14.5 oz cans diced tomatoes
- 1 small eggplant (about 1 lb.), peeled and cut into 1 inch pieces
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 2 tbsp. chopped fresh basil or 2 tsp. of dried basil (what I used)
- Cooked Brown Rice
- 1. Cut first 5 ingredients into 1-inch pieces.
- 2. Sauté onion and garlic in hot oil in a large skillet over medium heat 5 to 7 minutes or just until onion is tender. Stir in tomatoes and next 2 ingredients, and sauté 8 to 10 minutes or just until eggplant begins to soften. Stir in bell peppers, zucchini, and squash; cover and cook, stirring occasionally, 8 to 10 minutes or until vegetables are tender and liquid is slightly reduced. Stir in basil. Add salt and freshly ground pepper to taste, and sauté 3 minutes.
Serve over or with brown rice.