Pages

Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Basic Overnight Oats


The beaches in Mexico are beautiful.  I grew up going down to the Gulf of Mexico in Florida so I am spoiled by the white, beautiful  beaches.  I don't love vacationing to the east coast because the beach just isn't as pretty.  Mexico did not disappoint.

Here are a few pics of us enjoying the beautiful weather we had.

 Alex (A.K.A picky husband) laying out trying to get some color.

 The view back up towards the resort.

 Alex and I about to head down to the beach.

 BEAUTIFUL.  Alex wanted to wind surf and/or ocean kayak the whole time we were down there, but the water was too rough.


 My amazing husband of almost 5 years!

He knows how to make me smile.

I have been seeing overnight oats all over the blogging world lately.  I finally had a chance to make my own this weekend.  Unfortunately we were completely out of groceries so my ingredients were limited.  I wish I had some fresh fruit to add in.

I used steel cut oats instead of the regular rolled oats.  You get in a 1/4 of a cup of steel cut oats what you would get in 1/2 cup of rolled oats.  They tasted great.  A little chewier than regular oatmeal.  Definitely give these guys a try even if you don't normally like oatmeal.

You can make overnight oats into whatever you like.  The options are endless.  I first read about them on Kath Eats Real Food.  You can see there is so much you can add.  Have fun with this one.  Also try it with regular rolled oats.

Here are some of my future ideas of things to add:  greek yogurt instead of protein powder, cocoa, strawberries, bananas, blue berries, any fruit, peanut butter or other nut butter, nutmeg, honey, etc.

Overnight Oats

Ingredients:
  • 1/4 cup quick cook steel cut oats (Trader Joe's has the quick cook)
  • 1/2 cup almond milk
  • 1 scoop vanilla protein powder
  • 1/4 tsp. cinnamon
  • 1 Tbsp. ground flax seed
Place oats and almond milk in a container to sit in refrigerator overnight.  In the morning add all other ingredients.  Mix and eat!

No comments:

Post a Comment