Pages

Saturday, January 15, 2011

Bacon and Parmesan Pasta



This was another "snow meal" that we made while stuck at home this week.  It was super fast and easy to throw together.

We both thought that the original recipe was a little bland.  My suggestion, definitely add some garlic.  Sautee it in a pan and add it to the final mixture.  I topped mine with a few more red pepper flakes because I like some heat.  Since we did not originally add garlic I sprinkled some garlic salt on top and it was perfect!

I made this with some brown rice pasta I found at Trader Joe's.  I thought it tasted great, unlike some of the other rice pastas we have tried.  Rice pasta typically doesn't hold up as well as regular or other gluten free pastas.  Alex didn't love the texture of the rice pasta.  We also did not have heavy cream so I used half and half.

This is not the healthiest recipe, but it is very satisfying.  We steamed some fresh broccoli, topped it with lemon zest, lemon juice, and a little olive oil for a healthy side dish.


Bacon Parmesan Pasta
Source:  Adapted from Pioneer Woman's Tasty Kitchen
Ingredients:


  • 1 lb. bacon
  • 1/4 tsp. crushed red pepper flakes
  • 1 lb. rigatoni or penne pasta
  • 1/2 cup heavy cream
  • 1/4 cup cream cheese
  • 1/4 cup grated parmesan cheese (I only had shredded on hand)
  • 2 whole eggs
  • 1/4 tsp ground pepper
  • 1 garlic clove minced
Directions:
Cook pasta according to package directions.

Cook the bacon per package instructions.  When the bacon is almost complete, sprinkle with red pepper flakes.  Transfer to a plate to cool.  

My addition:  sautee garlic for 30 seconds and set aside.

Place cream and cream cheese in a sauce pan.  Heat over low until cream cheese is melted.  Remove from heat.  Add parmesan cheese, egg, pepper, and garlic and whisk until blended.  (Don't worry the heat from the pasta cooks the egg).

Drain the pasta and immediately mix with sauce and bacon.  Stir and serve.

Again, I topped with more shredded parmesan and red pepper flakes.

No comments:

Post a Comment