Pages

Saturday, January 1, 2011

Salsa

I felt inspired to use my UGA chip and dip tray because the DAWGS were playing the Knights while I was making this salsa!  GOOO DAWGS, SIC EM!

Shocker, another Mexican type recipe:)  I love salsa!  I could eat salsa for three meals a day.  Some people love chocolate (which don't get me wrong, I do love that too), but I would rather be stuck on an island with just chips and salsa then chocolate any day!

I am ashamed to admit that this is my first attempt at making homemade salsa.  I would consider myself a pro at the store bought stuff, but I never tackled this challenge before.  I got this recipe from my January Southern Living Magazine.  This is like my cooking bible.  Every month when I get my new one I sit down and read all the recipes.  I turn the page corners down for the ones that I like.  Then as I prepare my grocery list each week I go to the recipes that I have marked and pick 2-3 out for our meals that week.  I highly recommend a subscription if you don't already have one.

I made this as an appetizer to take to our friends, Scott and Katie, house for a New Years Eve get together.  It was super easy, just dump it all in the food processor or blender and blend.
Katie and Scott at Alex's 30th birthday party 80's theme!

A tip when using fresh lemon or lime juice.  While it is still whole roll it on the counter with firm pressure through your palm.  This will soften it and allow all the juices to come out easier.

Alex was my first taste tester and said it was awesome!  He loved the after kick that it leaves in your mouth.  You can make this salsa as chunky or smooth as you like.  My picky husband prefers smooth vs. chunky. Note from Alex...I will never eat store bought salsa again.  As a man that enjoys chips and salsa I have to say that this is some of the best fresh salsa I have ever had.

Since it is a new year and many people have health related goals to loose weight I thought I might add that spicy foods have been shown to increase metabolism.  No, alone they will not cause you to loose tons of lbs, but it is a good addition to burn a few more calories in your day.

All the ingredients ready to go

Southwest Salsa
Source:  Southern Living Magazine January 2011

  • 1 14.5 oz can diced tomatoes and zesty green chilies (I used a can and half of Rotel original which gave it a nice kick)
  • 5 pickled jalapeño pepper slices
  • 1/4 cup firmly packed fresh cilantro leaves
  • 1/4 cup chopped red onion
  • 1 Tbsp. fresh lime juice (approximately one lime)
  • 1/4 tsp. ground cumin
  • 1/4 tsp. garlic powder
  • 1/4 tsp. dried crushed red pepper
  • 1/4 tsp. salt
Drain liquid from tomatoes, reserving 1 Tbsp. liquid; discard remaining liquid.  Place reserved liquid, tomatoes, and next 8 ingredients in a food processor or blender.  Pulse 5 to 6 times or until finely chopped.  Cover and chill 1 to 24 hours before serving.  Garnish if desired with fresh cilantro sprigs and/or pickled jalapeño slices.  Store in refrigerator for up to 7 days. 


No comments:

Post a Comment