Pages

Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Cornbread



I finally broke down and bought a gluten free flour.  I have avoided baking since I have been gluten free because most recipes call for so many different flours that I do not have.  I was making veggie chili and craving some cornbread.  I found a recipe that looked pretty simple so I tried it out.  Alex and I thought it tasted better than the regular kind so don't be afraid to make it even if you are not gluten free.

I believe it is a sin in the south not to make your cornbread in a cast iron skillet.  If you have one, dust it off and pull it out, if you do not then it is time to invest in a kitchen tool you can pass on for generations to come!

It is so pretty outside right now that I just have to show you!



Nothing says chili and cornbread better than a cold day.  Hope you enjoy!


Source:  www.glutenfreemommy.com

Ingredients:

  • 1 cup white rice flour
  • 3/4 cup stone-ground cornmeal
  • 2 to 3 Tbsp. of sugar (if you are from the south just go ahead and put three, you know cornbread is supposed to be sweet)
  • 2 1/2 tsp baking powder
  • 3/4 tsp salt
  • 1 Tbsp. butter
  • 2 beaten eggs
  • 1 cup milk
  • 1/4 cup melted butter
Directions:

Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.  Mix the dry ingredients (flour, cornmeal, sugar, baking powder, and salt) together in a medium bowl and set aside.

Melt the one tablespoon of butter in a 10 inch cast iron skillet or 8/9 inch round baking pan in the oven.  This takes about three minutes.  Swirl the butter around the pan coating the bottom and sides.

In a small bowl, combine the eggs, milk, and 1/4 cup butter.  Add this mixture all at once to the flour mixture and stir until just moistened.  Pour batter int o the hot skillet or baking pan.  Bake for 15-20 minutes or until a wooden toothpick comes out clean.  Serve warm.  

No comments:

Post a Comment