Pages

Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Apple Dump Cake

WARNING:  This is not healthy!

Yesterday I met my friend Mary for breakfast at J. Christopher's (one of my favorite breakfast places).  Next, I was off to Sam's to grab a few things on my grocery list as well as some new pillows which we were in desperate need for.



The one on the right is looking a little pathetic!

Last night was a chill night in the Tutterrow house.  I was tired after my run at the newest entrance, on Old Alabama, to the Big Creek Greenway trail.  Being my first time to this new section, I wasn't sure where to go.  So when I took off to the right and saw a sign for a walking trail I took it.  I didn't realize I should have just stayed on the concrete to go to the real Greenway trail.  I don't like trail running because you are either going up hill (which kicks your booty) or downhill (which is a much needed break from your uphill run).  Let's just say my legs were burning after that trail.  I was bummed when I finished the trail part and realized I still had another mile to go.  Do I run it again and walk the last part or do I go back to the concrete and explore more of this area?  Well, I started with the trail, again.  After a quarter of a mile I turned around.  I just did not have it in me to do those hills again.  I got back to the concrete and found the real Greenway to finish up my run.

What do you use for motivation when you run?  So much of it is a mental battle for me.  I would love to hear your tricks to getting through a tough run.

I went home, showered, and parked myself on the couch with my computer.  After about an hour of laziness I got dinner started (blogs on that to come...it was super good).  Then we rented Little Fockers on On Demand.  I didn't get to finish it because I had to get to bed for work this morning.  Hopefully I can squeeze the last part in before dinner Wednesday.

Although I made an attempt to be in bed early, I didn't get much sleep with all the thunderstorms we had.  It was just crazy.  I don't see how anyone sleeps through that noise!

One of the biggest challenges of being gluten free is dessert.   It isn't impossible to come up with things to make, but sometimes you just miss plan ol' dessert.

I was super excited when we went to dinner at Tara and Jordan's house and she made an awesome gluten free dessert.  Just took a little creativity.

It is a dessert I have had in many different variations.  You can use pie filling, frozen fruit + a can of sprite on top, etc.  Have fun with this one!

I made it as an easy Easter dessert at my in-laws house.  Next time I think I am going to use fresh apples with some cinnamon and sugar to replace the pie filling.

I felt like we deserved a little dessert after all our hard work around the house:

Tended to the garden, filled the bird feeder, and swept the porches.  Look how much the garden has grown.  No surprise with all that rain we have had.

Dakin enjoying his dump cake.



Apple Dump Cake

Ingredients:

  • 1 box of gluten free yellow cake mix (regular if you aren't gluten free)
  • 2 cans of apple pie filling
  • 1 stick of butter, thinly sliced (I know I am going all Paula Dean on you!)
  • Serve with ice cream (if you are into that kind of thing, which I totally am!)
Directions:
Heat oven to 350 degrees.  Spray a 2 qt. baking dish with non-stick spray.  Spread the two cans of pie filling evening on the bottom of dish.  Next cover with cake mix evenly.  Top with butter slices.  Bake until top is golden brown, ~1 hour.  

1 comment:

  1. YUM! This looks so good. Anything with butter and sugar wins in my book!

    ReplyDelete