Pages

Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Greek Salad



Workouts

I have a new love for Jillian Michaels' workouts.    I have been a fan of her 30 day shred because it is a quick (~25 minute) full body work out with three different levels.  Recently I discovered her iPhone app, Slim Down, which has two full workouts.  Each workout contains five circuits which have 4+ workouts in each circuit.  It took me about 45 minutes to do it one time through.  I did my first one on Monday and it was awesome!  I love being sore the next day and this has left me sore for two days now.  I plan on buying her Making the Cut book which has 30 days worth of these work outs.  I love variety so that would be a great option for me.  If you are bored with your current routine I highly suggest this option.



Around the House


The dog beds have always been an eye sore in our house.  It is so hard to find cute ones that are not really expensive.  I am always scoping out the dog section of Home Goods and finally hit the jack pot on Saturday.  I found TWO affordable beds that matched our bedroom decor!  I was thrilled!  Apparently, our four legged friends are quite fond of them too!

Tucker claimed the big bed immediately

Tini was fine with the smaller one

"Who needs a dog bed?  Tough dogs sleep on hard floors."  Jackson
Jackson is so loyal to Alex that he even lays outside the shower waiting for him

MTV


I have to laugh at Alex because he loves MTV, especially the Rob and Big show.  Does anyone watch MTV anymore?  I might have seen it a few times over the past few years for an episode of the Hills, when I was really bored.  Alex still watches music videos in the morning (yes, they do actually still have something to do with music).  He is definitely a dedicated fan.


Alex's parents had us over for dinner Saturday.  Dakin made some great grilled chicken and veggies with a sweet potato for a side.  I made this Greek salad to go along with all the other fresh veggies.  Plus, I had a lot of tomatoes and cucumbers that needed to be used.  This is a great light salad to add to any summer dish.

Greek Salad
Source: Adapted from The Pioneer Woman Cooks

Ingredients

  •   4 whole or 8 roma Ripe Tomatoes, Cut Into Six Wedges Each, Then Each Wedge Cut In Half
  •   2 whole (large) Cucumber Cut Into Fourths Lengthwise, And Diced Into Large Chunks
  •   ½ whole Red Onion, Sliced Very Thin
  •   30 whole Pitted Kalamata Olives, Cut In Half Lengthwise
  •   6 ounces, weight Crumbled Feta Cheese
  •   ¼ cups Olive Oil
  •  2 Tablespoons Red Wine Vinegar
  •   1 teaspoon Sugar (more To Taste)
  •   1 clove Garlic, Minced
  •   6 whole Kalamata Olives (extra), Chopped Fine
  •   ¼ teaspoons Salt
  •   Freshly Ground Black Pepper
  •   1 whole Lemon, For Squeezing
Directions:

Add tomato wedges, cucumber chunks, onion slices, halved Kalamata olives, and half the feta to a large bowl.

Combine olive oil, vinegar, sugar, garlic, salt, pepper, and chopped olives in a bowl. Whisk together until combined. 

Pour dressing over salad ingredients, then add salt and pepper. Toss with tongs or clean hands. Just before serving, top with additional feta and squeeze a little lemon juice over the top.

2 comments:

  1. Yummy! I vote for this next time you host a party. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Samantha! We don't know each other, but your blog popped up in a Google search and I just wanted to say that I love it - I have a new blog on my list of favorites now. :) I can't wait to try your recipes! Also, my cousin has a blog that reminds me of yours, in that she ends each entry with a recipe (she is a food writer; she went to culinary school and I am so incredibly jealous of her talent when it comes to food!). If you want to check it out, go to www.rochellebilow.com.

    ReplyDelete