Pages

Thursday, July 7, 2011

Migas


This is my Father's Day blog. (Finally.)

I am so grateful to have an amazing father and father-in-law.

My dad has always been the person to give me words of encouragement when I am down.  He is my biggest fan in any new task I choose to accomplish.  He has a golden heart.  He always looks for the best in everyone and will lend a helping hand whenever physically possible.

We have had a few health scares with him over the past few years which makes this day even more special for me.  I never take for granted the time I have with him.

Dad, Cari (step-mom), Me, and Alex

Being introduced at the reception

Singing to me at the Father-Daughter dance

Dakin, my father-in-law, has been in my life for 10 years now (Alex and I started dating 10 years ago yesterday!!!)  He has been an amazing role model of patience, kindness, and support.  He has shown us unconditional love even when we are making crazy decisions.  I feel so blessed to have him as part of my family now!

Dakin, Me, Alex, and Susan

Susan and Dakin being introduced at the reception

So, this one is for you, dad and Dakin, HAPPY FATHER'S DAY!  Hope you had the best one yet!

I am sure you were dying to know what I made for Father's day:)  We settled on doing brunch which consisted for Migas, fresh fruit, and zucchini muffins.  It was a crowd pleaser!



Migas are a tex-mex dish that takes your traditional scrambled eggs to the next level.  You add some corn tortillas, cilantro, and other yummy ingredients.

Migas
Source:  The Pioneer Woman Cooks

Ingredients:

  • 1 medium onion
  • 1 red bell pepper (I omitted because I don't like peppers)
  • 1 green bell pepper (above)
  • 4 tomatoes
  • 1 or 2 jalapenos (I did two since I didn't use bell peppers)
  • 10 to 12 large eggs (we used 12)
  • 1/4 cup half and half
  • salt and pepper to taste
  • 4 corn tortillas
  • canola oil for frying tortillas
  • 1 tbsp. olive oil
  • 1 tbsp. butter
  • 2 cups grated Mexican cotija, Monterrey jack, or pepper jack cheese (we used pepper jack)
  • 1/4 to 1/2 cup chopped cilantro
  • 1/4 cup sour cream
Directions:

Roughly chop the onion, bell peppers, and tomatoes.  Finely dice the fresh jalapeno, removing the white membranes and seeds (this is where the heat is).

In a bowl lightly beat (with a mixer) the eggs and half and half. Season with salt and pepper.

In a small skillet, fry the corn tortillas in canola oil until they are barely crisp.  Remove from pan onto a paper towel to drain oil.  Cut tortillas into strips then large squares.  Set aside.

In a skillet over medium high heat, cook the onion and bell peppers in the olive oil and butter until they begin browning (you don't want then soggy and soft).

Next, add the tomatoes and cook for 1 minute.

Add tortilla squares and jalapenos.  Stir and reduce the heat to low.

Next pour in the egg mixture.  With a spatula,  very gently fold the mixture together, allowing the eggs to cook slowly.  Do not stir the mixture; just turn it lightly.  


When the eggs are cooked, throw in the cheese and chopped cilantro.

Add more cheese, salt, and pepper to taste.  Top with sour cream and serve with fresh fruit.

No comments:

Post a Comment