Pages

Thursday, December 30, 2010

Buckeyes

If you have had these before then your mouth should already be watering!  There is nothing healthy about these chocolate covered peanut butter balls!  My mother in law kept referring to them as "fat balls" while we were making them for our Christmas party. 

It is difficult to find gluten free desserts that do not require crazy flours that I do not own, so I love when I find recipes that do not require flour at all!

This was my first time making them and they are a lot of work.  My hand was sore the next day from squeezing them into balls.  Not to mention I forgot to put the toothpicks in before they went into the freezer.  This created a problem when I needed to dip them in the melted chocolate.  I was able to put a toothpick in about half of them, but after a few minutes of being out of the freezer they started to soften and crumble.  I was being impatient and decided to dip them by hand at that point versus using a toothpick.  Big mistake...I kept burning my finger tips! 

The recipe said it would make 30.  Mine made 60 something and they were still large!  Luckily I was able to send some guests home with left overs.  They keep well in the refrigerator.  I think it would be great to get some tins from the dollar store and fill them with buckeyes as a host, teacher, or work present.

These are super sweet!

I can't believe I forgot to take a picture of mine.  This picture is from Google images (http://www.beckertop5.blogspot.com/).

Buckeyes
Source: http://www.allrecipes.com/
Makes: 60+

1 1/2 cups peanut butter (I use one of the natural brands to avoid the hydrogenated oils.  The kind I used was Earth Balance and it does not separate like some other natural kinds do.)
1 cup butter, softened (I always forget to take things out to soften.  I put the butter in the microwave for 15 seconds)
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
6 cups confectioners' sugar
4 cups semisweet chocolate chips

In a large bowl, mix together the peanut butter, butter, vanilla, and confectioners sugar.  I used my hands to mix it.  The dough will look dry.  (At this point the directions say "roll into 1 inch balls"...rolling caused mine to continue to crumble, so I grabbed some of the mixture and just kept squeezing until it slightly resembled a ball). Place on a cookie sheet lined with wax paper.

Press a toothpick into the top of each ball.  Place in the freezer to chill for 30 minutes.

Melt chocolate chips in a double broiler or in a bowl set over a pan of barely simmering water (I didn't believe this step and turned it up, but don't it definitely heats up just fine on low).  Stir frequently until smooth.

Dip frozen peanut butter balls in chocolate holding on to the toothpick.  Leave a small portion of peanut butter showing at the top to make them look like Buckeyes.  Put back on cookie sheet and refrigerate until serving.

1 comment:

  1. I have not one problem with crumbling. Never have before and haven't while following your recipe. I use regular peanut butter also. Today I used Skippy Creamy.
    I wonder what could be causing yours to do that...

    ReplyDelete