Pages

Wednesday, December 29, 2010

Mexican Layer Dip

There are so many variations out there of this style dip.  I liked the addition of cumin and green chillies to spice up the beans.  I left out the black olives because I am not a big fan.  Adapt this recipe to your liking!

I used Trader Joe's fresh salsa for the pico part of the recipe.  We always have some in our refrigerator.  It is so yummy.  I also buy the guacamole in bulk from Sam's and freeze the extras.  It is a great go to appetizer when you need something last minute. 

I was not precise with my measurements except with the beans.  I just made the ingredients work for the serving dish I was using.  You can't go wrong with a little extra.



Mexican Layer Dip
Source:  The Pioneer Woman Cooks Blog

Ingredients

1 can refried beans
Tabasco sauce, to taste (I used Texas Pete)
1 can diced green chillies
Ground cumin to taste
3/4 cup grated sharp cheddar cheese
1 cup sour cream
1 cup guacamole
3/4 cup monterey jack cheese
1 can black olives
1 cup pico de gallo

Heat beans in a small pan over medium low heat.  Add several dashes of tabasco sauce and a small can of undrained diced green chilies.  Stir well.  Sprinkle a little bit of ground cumin.  (I would add a small amount and continue tasting until it reaches your liking).  Spread the beans on the bottom of a glass bowl or high sided dish.  Next sprinkle the sharp cheddar cheese.  Add sour cream next, spreading gently as to not disturb the cheese beneath.  For the next layer add guacamole.  Follow with a layer of monterey jack cheese.  Sprinkle with chopped black olives.  Lastly, place a generous layer of pico de gallo.  You may top with diced jalapenos, if you like, on top.

Serve with tortilla chips.

1 comment:

  1. Yum! I am definitely going to try this soon! I am so proud of you with your new blog! I love getting new ideas!

    ReplyDelete