Pages

Tuesday, December 28, 2010

Hot Spinach and Artichoke Dip

Yes, this is another appetizer from the holiday party.  I promise some real food is coming soon!

Before I get to the dip I had to share this sweet shot.  My great friend, Lauren, brought her son Brody to the party.  Shortly after walking in he spotted our Elf from Elf on the Shelf.  (Although Brody calls him "Alf".)  He was so excited that the Elf had followed him all the way to Roswell from his home in Alpharetta.  Alex and Brody sat on the couch and read the Elf on the Shelf book.  It was precious!

Brody and Alex reading about the Elf!

I absolutely LOVE this dip!  I make it all the time and it is always a big hit!  I found it online back when I was in college.  This is a mock version of Olive Garden's, supposedly.  I have  never actually had spinach artichoke dip at Olive Garden so I couldn't tell you how much they are alike!

Before I was gluten free I served this with pita chips, now tortilla chips.  Warm bread would also be a great dipper.

The picture does not do it justice.  I was in a hurry to snap a shot since guests had already started eating!

Olive Garden Hot Spinach and Artichoke Dip
Source: http://www.cdkitchen.com/

1 8 oz. cream cheese (softened)
1 14 oz. can of artichoke hearts, drained and coarsely chopped
1/2 cup spinach frozen (defrosted)
1/4 cup mayonnaise (don't skimp and use miracle whip here!)
1/4 cup parmesan cheese
1/4 cup romano cheese (you can use all parmesan if that is all you have)
1 garlic clove, minced
Either 1/2 teaspoon of dried basil or 1 tablespoon of fresh basil
1/4 cup mozzarella cheese grated
1/4 teaspoon garlic salt

Allow cream cheese to come to room temperature.  Mix together cream cheese, mayonnaise, parmesan, romano cheese, garlic, basil, and garlic salt.  Mix well.

Add the artichoke hearts and spinach (I squeeze it really good with my hands to make sure it is well drained), and mix until blended.  Store in a container until you are ready to use.

Spray corningware with Pam, pour in dip, and top with mozzarella.  Bake at 350 degrees for 25 minutes or until top is lightly browned.

No comments:

Post a Comment