Pages

Wednesday, December 22, 2010

Three Bean Soup

This recipe has been passed around our family for years.  It is a quick and easy go to meal when you really do not have time to cook.  You just dump it all in a pot and let it go.

I made this recipe for our friends, Allison and Chris, because they just had a precious baby girl, Stella.  Allison is not a vegetarian, but she does not really enjoy most meat dishes.  (For a strict vegetarian you could substitute the chicken stock for vegetable stock.)  I think it is always great to take soup when people might be receiving  a lot of food because they can freeze your soup and eat it at another time.

You can play with this recipe and make it "yours".  I am sure you can add sauteed onions, peppers, and garlic to spice it up a bit.

Before I was gluten free we served this with cornbread.  I am hoping to try some gluten free versions and will blog on those adventures soon.

DISCLAIMER:  My "picky husband" does not like the amount of diced tomatoes in this recipe.  He picks most of them out which leaves more for me!



Three Bean Soup
Walker/Conger Family Recipe (Unknown original source)
Serves 4-6

Ingredients:

3 cans of beans, drained and rinsed (Use whatever you like.  I used pinto, kidney, and black beans)
3 cans of diced tomatoes (I have started buying these in bulk at Sam's...much cheaper than the grocery store)
1 can of corn
2 cans of chicken broth (Another good bulk buy at Sam's)
1 packet of dry ranch dressing
1/2-3/4 packet of taco seasoning (I use a whole packet.  You can add a little spice by getting hot vs. mild)

Place all ingredients into a pot and heat to a boil.


Simmer for at least 30 minutes.  I simmer for one hour.  (See, I told you it was easy!)

1 comment:

  1. Looks great! I'm sure they loved having something healthy too, since most people are probably bringing them cheesy casseroles!

    ReplyDelete