Pages

Monday, February 7, 2011

Shrimp de Gallo

What a weekend!  Alex and I were gone from Friday night through Sunday morning at a weekend event called myLIFE.  We both lead a small group, mine 9th grade girls and his 9th grade boys.  With InsideOut there are three main events outside of our typical Sunday routine.  The first is The Walk held at the beach for 5 days during the summer.  Next, is Vertical Reality weekend held up in Jasper at Sharptop Cove in the fall.  Last, myLIFE held locally for a weekend.  All four campuses came together.  This meant 1,300 high school students in one place!  AHHH!

I am blessed to have about 22 girls that I lead.  Only 12 were able to make it for this amazing weekend.  They are great girls who really have a desire to grow in their relationship with Christ.  The theme of the weekend was to help them spend time deciding who they want to be and to realize who do they currently model their life after. Is it the pretty girl in math who seems to have it all, the sporty girl who plays volleyball and looks like a pro, is it the girl who can sing and might be the next American Idol?  By the end of the weekend they realized they have the most perfect model ever right at their finger tips, Jesus.  They discovered ways to learn more about Him and how to change their lives to live like He did.

This was the perfect weekend for these girls.  I am sure you remember what it was like to be in 9th grade and feel so lost and confused.  To find who you are at this age is a blessing.  I know some adults who are still struggling with this concept.

I was running late on Friday because I had to finish up at work.  My girls were told to hang out in the room we do small group time in at the church.  When I got there I found them being about as mischievous as 9th grade girls get...playing in an abandoned Target grocery cart.  We still have no idea why it was in our room or where it came from!  (Well, it obviously came from Target, but how did it get to North Point!).


What else would 9th grade girls do while waiting for the first session but play with each other's hair?  Get in line and let's start braiding!


The entire group!  What a beautiful group of girls!

Alex and I were more than a little exhausted when we got home Sunday morning, so when Susan (my mother-in-law) invited us over to watch the Super Bowl and eat chili we jumped at the offer.  I ran out to the grocery store after we got home to grab the ingredients for an appetizer to bring.  I knew once I hit the couch I wouldn't be able to move until it was time for dinner.

This dip was easy to throw together and healthy too.  I figured there would be enough of your typical super bowl food.  I was disappointed that Trader Joe's didn't have any ripe avocados.  I think it would have been a great addition.  The taste was good without.  



Shrimpo de Gallo
Source:  Pioneer Woman's Blog
Ingredients:
  • 1 pound of cooked shrimp (tails removed), chopped
  • 1/2 whole red onion, diced finely
  • 1/2 cup green or black olives, chopped (I used green because I don't really care for black)
  • 2 whole tomatoes, diced
  • 2 whole fresh jalapeño peppers, minced
  • 2 whole avocados, chopped
  • 2 whole limes, juiced
  • kosher salt to taste
  • 2 cups cilantro, chopped (I don't think I used quite this much, just eyeball it)
Directions:
Combine shrimp, red onion, olives, tomatoes, and jalapeños in a large bowl.  Add lime juice and salt to taste. Add cilantro.  Stir gently with a spoon, taste to determine if you need more lime or salt.  (I also added about 1/2 tsp. of garlic powder to taste).  Chill before serving.  Add avocado right before you serve so it does not turn brown.    Serve with tortilla chips.  

1 comment:

  1. That looks really good! I've never thought to put shrimp in a dip before...what a good idea!

    ReplyDelete